Monday, April 29, 2013

Let the Ironman Training Begin

It's 2013 and the training for Ironman Arizona in November has begun. It was a beautiful morning leaving the house at 4:30 AM to get my first 9 mile run in of the year. Why did I leave so early? To be home in time for my 11 month old baby boy to wake up. This is my new training reality. I'm riding with the Firefighter as much as I can and since my feet are still adjusting to orthotics I have to keep the high impact training to a smaller percentage. This means more swimming and biking. I'm starting the training earlier in the season and attempting to just treat the whole year like some phase of training for a race. This hopefully marks the end of my days going out for the first run, or bike ride of the year going half the speed and hurting twice as bad the next day.

Thirty years old isn't anywhere near midlife, but it does come with more responsibilities, time constraints and not quite the recovery time of my mid twenties. I also have enough on my plate now that I truly look forward to fantasy football podcasts while running as the sun comes up. I feel relaxed sitting in the aero position grinding out the miles for the 37 miles to ride with the firefighter to work and back. I'm trying to be more responsible with training so that I don't hurt myself, and to eat better to get the most out of each day. When I trained for my first race it was a mountain to attack as hard as I could. Today it's my stress relief to get out of the way before Daelen(my 11 month old) wakes up in the morning. Either way, I'm shooting for my first under 11 hour race and hoping to stay healthy enough to pursue a few marathon PR's in the spring.

1 comment:

  1. Many people who have been inactive for a time are very intimidated by the thought of participating in a triathlon. However, with good beginner triathlon training, you can do this! Make the commitment, do the work and get off the couch for good!

    triathlon training for beginners

    ReplyDelete