Thursday, December 15, 2011

Second Ride back, Bouya!!!

It was a cold morning waking up to my wonderful wife about to go to work. I made my way downstairs to feed my wonderful dogs Sweetums the english bulldog and Skittles the cairn terrier. I then took steps to set up my bike for my first ride over an hour and a half in it's whole one month of life on the road. This included adding my aero bottle to the front, putting 2 bottles for ironman perform in my back bottle cages, putting the Garmin 310 XT on it and putting a few powerbar gels in my bento box.
she has gained another 10 pounds, I love it

This is really not that much to accomplish, it was more about the nutrition leading up to my first real workout since the Ironman. I had a decent dinner the night before and a good breakfast. I also wrapped a couple presents for my wife waiting for the Firefighter to get ready. The ride was awesome, 51 miles and it felt like mid season for my usual training instead of the first real workout. I was supposed to meet my usual partner in crime and as we had pre discussed when I got to our meeting location early I continued on. He was discreetly dressed with a long sleeved jersey and dark bike shorts to below his knee's that matched his bike making him mostly invisible. It was a shame I didn't see him because I was 3 miles away when I heard his ringtone (Ironman by Black Sabbath). I pulled over and answered the phone hearing the question where are you? I answered with the same question to find out that I had just ridden down hill with a tail wind away from him and would now be playing catch up into a head wind up hill.
not Toto from Wizard of Ozz, it's our little girl

When I finally caught up to him he set a usual Firefighter I have to stay in shape for a living pace. I am months away from any race though, so instead of slowing down to my pace and making him match I just stepped it up. It was awesome, except for the part where even though neither of us was congested somehow unheard of amounts of snot kept running out of our noses. This is a part of science I will never understand, where does all the snot come from, I even blew my nose before I left. I new we were serious when we pushed harder just to make it to a huge hill that we could go over twice, and I took a different route home just to hit an extra hill.We were both in mid season form. We have intended to do these kinds of workouts during the winter in past years but instead waited 5 months and in my case 30 pounds of extra weight to get started. It was awesome to actually follow through for once, but hopefully this year it won't be the only workout since we're supposed to train again tomorrow.

 When I got back I cleaned my new Cannondale Slice 4 and made my way inside to greet the same two ladies that I started my day with (Sweetums and Skittles). If you are wondering at all where the name Sweetums came from, the name was inspired by a Muppet that she will look like when full grown.
see the connection?
Sweetums the Muppet

No comments:

Post a Comment