Sunday, December 11, 2011

Training During the Holidays

The Holidays come just once a year. This is what I'm telling myself as my plans to go for a run today turned into going to a Christmas party and overeating on sweets. I have still put in my time on the bike and running, but with my next race almost six months away it is important to remember to have fun. I would not have changed anything about today.

It is a wonderful idea to take my fitness level from finishing Ironman Arizona in the best shape I've ever been in and expanding that immediately, but not vital. It is December and a time of year where you get to see friends and family. A chance to drink eggnog, give gifts and eat all the holiday treats that are bad for you. I'll take this time of year over Halloween any day of the week for the sweets involved. If I were a sponsored athlete, or one of the many local residents in peak training time for the upcoming PF Changs Marathon here in Phoenix it might be different, but I'm not.

All the literature says the same thing. It is important to let your body rest, giving weeks to build into normal workout shape. I also think it is not a bad time of year to put on a few pounds knowing swimsuit season is far away. I bailed on my training today, but for a good cause. The cause of enjoying the blessing of friends and family. I sacrificed my workout on the alter of correct priorities to help make some good memories. I will sadly be doing the same thing the next couple of weekends.

The important moral of the story is that I have all year to train, but only see some of the people at these gatherings once a year. I'll have the next twelve months to get up in the morning, eat my Wheaties Fuel cereal, get in a strong workout and taste the win. For the next few weeks though, I hope everyone cherishes their time with loved ones and enjoys the Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment