Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Last Official Workout Day

Today I swam for 40 laps with the firefighter. I had already started when he got there having gone 9 laps solo, and at an above average pace. This is when what I will call the Iron swim similar to other races where the two competitors are grid locked. The fire fighter jumped out like a fire cracker and I sat in the lane next to him right near his feet drafting for about 5 laps. He slowed down and I saw my chance to control the pace choosing to slow things down a bit until he took the lead back. I wasn't trying to win, but I took the lead back and so forth until we were both pushing pretty hard. I didn't fall into that little zone in my head like normal, or get distracted, just focusing on stroke, stroke, breathe until I hit the wall looked at the fire fighter and pushed off to start again. This came to a conclusion with us both finishing and simultaneously stood up looked at each saying,"your killing me." This was what having a good training partner can do. I thought he was pushing me, while he thought he was doing everything he could to keep up. We both left the workout feeling good with Sunday lurking around the corner.

Since I lamed out on the run planned for yesterday I'll definitely be trying to get about a 8 mile run in. I am going through the motions on it not trying to set any speed records, or push it too hard. That leaves me three full days to rest. I will take the Velo Vie out with the new wheels Saturday/Friday, but more for a test ride then a workout. I'll also brave a swim in Tempe town lake Saturday morning for thirty minutes to get a feel for the course, but that could easily turn into 20 minutes not wanting to over do it. Today is about keeping those muscles used to the motions and exercises they'll be doing for hours. Though muscle loss doesn't occur for roughly two weeks cardiovascular loss can occur at even one week. Mitochondrial density decreases as does VO2 max. That basically means a reduced capability of the bodies engine on a cellular level and capability to carry oxygen to your muscles. This is why even with a twelve hour race approaching it is necessary to continue to train. Anything can happen on race day, but a lot more good can happen if you've prepared well.

I didn't get to do a full taper, but the closest thing to one I've done since Highschool swim team. All the plans in the world don't do any good when life happens and you have to skip workouts. For now my race day setup is already packed so I'll be running in some random workout clothes wearing a fuel belt that I won't don Sunday, and the wet suit is also staying in my workout bag. I go back out to fly tomorrow and then Friday morning the festivities begin.

1 comment:

  1. Be honest, you were trying to destroy me! Ha ha ha! Nice workout buddy.

    ReplyDelete