Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Last Bike Ride before the big Race

I got up at 5 AM today to start the day letting out my little 13 week old english bulldog Sweetums with her cohort Skittles the cairn terrier. After getting fitted for my new bike the day before I realized that I have been riding my bike wrong the entire time. Not only have I been riding a long time on my Aegis incorrect, but had just two days prior set up the bike I'm borrowing for the Ironman incorrectly. I had to adjust my loaner bike to the new guidelines I learned. This involved making the seat post as low as it would physically go, I mean it bottomed out and was still not low enough. I also had to take the aero bar pads as wide as they could go. Turns out that having your arms uncomfortably skinny not only is not much more aero, but also makes the new aero bars stretch your wrists to an uncomfortable level. Funny thing, apparently you are actually supposed to be comfortable and easily settled on the bike.
the Velo Vie dialed in and ready to go
I left the house much happier then my last test runs on the bike moseying down the street near my house down hill warming up. The goal was to get one last fifty plus mile ride in to get time in the saddle. This was a joint effort with my partner in crime the Firefighter both of us breaking in new bikes. We took a route filled with many uphill runs, some good down hills, all levels of steep climbs and descents. It is hard to say good ride, or bad because time was the real goal here. We both came out with over a hundred miles in the saddle over the last week in new rides his intended to be a much better ride, mine to still help me be succesful despite my last minute bike issues. I finished on mile 53 with the best final up hill stretch towards my neighborhood I've had over the last few months. This is a great confidence builder finishing strong able to walk away happy that with a lot of support I have a bike that is great to help me get through this craziness happening Sunday.
West Wing road final stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment