Sunday, November 13, 2011

Adjusting The Velo Vie

Today the goal was to put in two hours of trainer time with the new bike for the Ironman that's a week away. I put the Velo Vie on the trainer hopped up and began to pedal to my hearts desire. The point of this exercise is to take the initial adjustments and fine tune them before going out on a real ride. It is much easier to hop off a trainer and sit at my kitchen table making changes then out on the road. The goal can be best illustrated with a picture.

from slowtwich.com
The goal is to keep making adjustments on the seat height and position until I can have all the set angles.Even with your arm sitting a little forwards of your shoulder it should still make a ninety degree angle to the line of your shoulder to your hip. It is also important to have a downward peddle stroke that is neither completely locking out your leg, nor staying too bent. This took raising my seat height four times, and adjusting the saddle forwards as well as towards a farther downward angle. I had to adjust the pads on the aero bars for my forearms taking them as close towards the saddle as they would go and also as skinny as they would allow. The last thing I did was play with where I need to put my arms in order to meat the measurement requirements to have optimal positioning. I don't know if I can duplicate this picture, but I do know that after an hour of tweeks and an hour of steady riding under more optimal positioning that it was a vast improvement.

This fit along with adding the cadence and speed sensors to the bike for the Garmin 310 XT makes it ready to take out on the open road. Tomorrow I will try for another two hour ride. I am also heading out to Tribe Multi-sport to try and find my new bike for post race training.

No comments:

Post a Comment