Thursday, December 1, 2011

Ironman Arizona 2011 Bike to Run Transition

I started with a fist pound to my partner in crime the Firefighter. We left our bikes handing them off to volunteers. Before handing off the bike I put the Garmin 210 XT from the bike quick release mount to my wrist mount. Jogging over to the transition bags yelling out our bib numbers we were handed our transition bags and guided into the transition tent. I just dumped mine out on the ground and found my new timing chip in my running shoes. I immediately put the chip on, and changed my socks before putting my running shoes on. I took off the arm warmers, took off my bike helmet and put on my Wheaties Fuel Visor. 

I had a great smooth transition tell it came to nutrition. I took 2 pepto (keep me from pooping on the run), a 5 hour energy(boost energy to finish strong), a gel (for calories), and 2 cups of water. This was too much and I immediately knew that this was overkill. Next time no pepto, or 5 hour energy and I'll explain. I walked out the tent, let complete strangers rub me down with sun screen since I was already completely burnt and headed out a few minutes behind the Firefighter. I never saw him again, though I didn't think I would.

This was a clean transition and quick. Before I even started the run I began to feel bloated, and weird. I wanted to leave knowing my energy level was on the rise, I wouldn't have to poop and I would be fully hydrated. Instead I was bloating, feeling like the combination of caffeine gels with 5 hour energy was making me sick and the 2 waters just made it worse. The only positive that overshadowed this terrible set of choices was that I had a timing chip. I had already made up 51 minutes and now it was just necessary to make up another 3 minutes to guarantee my goal for the day was met.

No comments:

Post a Comment