Saturday, May 12, 2012

Buzz Kill in Austin Texas

I looked at my schedule ahead of time and had a long run, maybe ten or twelve miles planned for Austin, Texas. I arrived in Austin on time and the weather was stormy meaning that the next morning it should make for a great run. As I pulled up to the Double Tree hotel I realized that I was no where near the historic downtown, or the much talked up waterfront. There is a stretch of water that is considered among the top in the country for running along and I was at least 10 miles away from it. Being second year pay, I opted for the back up plan. I hung out and read about bicycles in a magazine on the stationary bike.

It was a nice stationary bike, with a television and resistance settings that were gradual. I put in a hour and twenty minutes along with some pull ups before coming back up to my room. This was a good workout with me now saving the long run for Sacramento tomorrow morning. I learned something about myself though. I sat down wanting to put in two hours on the stationary bike, but even with how easy it is I found myself struggling after three quarters of that. Just like anything else in endurance sports, even the easy stuff takes time to develop. Hopefully next time I can comfortably put in 10 more minutes and by the time the baby arrives I'll be rocking my 2 hour workouts on the stationary bike. I also didn't bring anything to help me on it, but in the past I didn't have to drink a gatorade mid workout.

After this OK workout I was off to Papasito's Mexican restaurant. I love this place and we don't have them in Phoenix, so I ran next door to grab lunch there. I had their signature burrito, some sweet ice tea (they actually hand it to you pre sweetened) and a bowl of chips and salsa. I probably over did the food, but I will need the sustenance before tomorrows run. That's what I'm going to tell myself at least. I am still hoping for the Austin overnight where I stay at the Hilton and can run on the overnight, for now a great burrito will suffice. A little bit of a buzz kill, but I'll live.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment