Saturday, May 19, 2012

Raleigh Durham North Carolina on a Warm Summer Day

I got in around midnight last night and before heading to my room at the Hilton in Raleigh Durham I asked if there were any good running paths near by. This sheet below was handed to me, pre-highlighted and easy to explain. The X on the bottom of the page is the hotel and the dimensions make for a 3 mile run and change if you take the blue highlighter route the entire way around. I was looking for a 10 mile run today and so the plan was to wake up without an alarm, eat a small breakfast of a Lara Bar and a Powerbar gel before heading out for 3 loops on this thing. I get lost so often on these foreign runs the first time, I knew I could add a mile without blinking an eye.
The morning went just as planned and below is the beautiful setting I was met with. I knew right off the bat this would be a nice run. Temperatures in the mid 60's, a nice breeze and though the sun was high in the sky, it sure beet the Arizona heat.

Just to give a good impression of how different things are out here on the east coast, check out the porch and the rocking chairs. When I returned after the run, every rocking chair was occupied with people just relaxing on a Saturday.
The first couple steps on the map were very short. I was told that the path would be obvious and as you can see below it kind of stood out. I did my usual slow first mile to get the hang of things and warm up gradually. The trees were incredible, making me jealous to have such scenic options around every corner. Things were not as easy to follow after the initially getting on the trail and I wish I had taken a picture of the map, or brought it before leaving. I just knew that I would be making a circle with a pond near the half way mark, and some stores around the last mile. Not much to go on for a mental picture.

For the first loops I did not see anyone else outside, but on loops two and three I saw a few people as crazy as me exercising instead of just enjoying a great Saturday morning. I guess this is how I do enjoy a Saturday morning honestly. The way to know you are on the right path is the asphalt trail. There are short gaps with standard sidewalks, but they only last for a matter of feet before the asphalt continues. There are arrows on the trail, but they go both directions at some points making it kind of confusing.

There are no mile markers, maps along the way, just the asphalt trail to follow like Dorothy and the yellow brick road. Just follow, follow, follow, follow, follow the black asphalt road. Near the halfway point in the loops is the pond that helps reassure you that you're on the path still. The first time I came to it, I saw a goose with baby geese around it. I thought this was darling, until the mama goose spread her wings, hissed at me and charged. I can honestly say I was scared of being thrashed by a goose protecting her young and sprinted around her as fast as I could. I narrowly escaped and wondered if this was going to be a routine on each loop.

There are two bridges over the pond and I liked how there were metal guards at foot level on them. I've had phones drop out of their case and I wouldn't want to have it slide into a pond with a vengeful goose. Both bridges were well made, and sturdy. This is the scenic highlight of the run. There were no excessive bugs, or pedestrians fishing around.

Here is the part of the run where I kept up my streak of almost following the path perfectly. It gets really confusing and I accidentally took NC 54 to Page Rd. as pictured on the map. Remember I told you that the paths have no signage, or maps to help you out. I was running along sidewalk and it kind of gave me a clue that it wasn't anything like the rest of the loop. Oh well, first loop done and I picked up the path right right where I started it for loop number two.

This time I tried to follow the path and was doing better, when I goofed it again. I ended up on an area highlighted in purple on the map, then back tracking on the blue parts that I had already ran once. Upon going to the start of the course the wrong way I turned around and just called that a loop. The third loop, to make up for lost distance I took the long way with NC 54 and Page Rd again. Pictured below is NC 54. I hit the 10 mile mark with roughly a block to cool down on the way back to the hotel.

The run felt awesome. The best of 2012 so far averaging 9:19 miles and having gas left in the tank. I loved this run and would recommend it to anyone looking for an adventure, or likes scavenger hunts. Every time you find the path again it gives a feeling of gratification. I also tried the Hilton Precor Fitness Center. The room was small, but well stocked with good ventilation. I pumped iron while watching the lunch crowd eat out on a patio. 40 minutes on the bike and an upper body weight routine and I was done. I showered up and just to stay consistent, rewarded myself with food.

It might not look appetizing, but that is a North Carolina, pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw on it. I loved it. I have just enough time to finish this post, take a nap and fly back to Phoenix via Chicago tonight. It was a great morning, and a great run with an even better end. Now all I have to worry about is how sore I'll feel on those long flights crossing the country.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment