Monday, June 20, 2011

Vegas Trip Workout Number Two

So The Lion King was a pretty good show with cool costumes. Aureole was not a good dining experience, though if I was a Wino I think I might have liked it more. I took the lazy option and caught a cab from the Encore to the Mandalay Bay, but really it's like 3 miles...Can you really blame me in the heat of June? To make up for it Hilary and I went against the normal Vegas grain today and worked out at the fitness center. We started with introducing Hilary to a pull workout, or back and biceps. I'm continuing the process of helping teach my beautiful bride the basics of weight training to support her pursuing endurance sports. After a good weight lifting regimen we did planks for abs with some assorted other exercises followed by the wonderful treadmill. A nice change from my normal on-the-road treadmill workout, because I had someone to talk to, keeping me honest about holding a pace that can equate to a real marathon. Now that we knew the Encore offered free water bottles and towels this time we honestly took advantage bringing a 32 oz. Kirkland water bottle we refilled and still came away after the workout with 4 little bottles to take to the room. I started once again with a 6.7 mph pace and after ten minutes upped the the pace by .2 mph for the first half and hour. I then went to five minute adjustments and finished with 9.5 mph to complete a 5 mile workout. I have so much respect for anyone that can hold a 6:18 pace for a whole marathon because that is moving fast.

I rewarded myself for a good workout with the second consecutive day of sitting by the pool with a bucket of 5 beers (please do not do this if wanting to be supportive of endurance training, I am on vacation remember) and splitting some nice bar food with the wife. We definitely didn't bring sun tan lotion and the one we bought broke after we protected my wife, so I look like a lobster that got a good workout and then drank 5 Coors Lights. I am off to continue an active day of walking over to the mall for more wife shopping, checking out the Wynn's dealership for Ferraris and Mazeratis and their 5-star golf course. To add a little crescendo to the trip before going home tomorrow, I am going to the  Wynn's buffet to just eat as many calories as I can fit in my belly, knowing that five miles on a treadmill didn't even come close to countering the damage I have done in the eating department. This is my first vacation working out regularly, and I have to say it is very rewarding to know I am not losing any ground with my training while living it up in Las Vegas. I intend to get one more workout with Hilary in before going home tomorrow, but we'll just have to see what kind of damage the buffet and following dueling piano bar does before the final decision on that fitness center visit is made.

No comments:

Post a Comment