Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Great Brick Workout

Just got done with an incredible brick workout. Nothing says fun like getting up at 4:15 to get in a 52 mile bike ride. I chose a route that let me go 27 miles before having to stop at a single stop light. The ride had a gradual climb throughout the first half with one big hill and then a nice reward of coasting the rest of the way. Here is a link to the ride I did http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/36893928/ and finished up with a two mile run with my buddy Skittles. She's our lovable Cairn Terrier.
Skittles was pretty pooped after a two mile run, but considering I was still in bike shorts and she has a manly pink collar I kind of pushed her for speed this morning. Today was  great for me, setting a PR in average speed over the bike distance with 19.5 mph and then 7:50 miles on the run.  Other then almost tripping over Skittles at the mile and a half mark which could have lead to disaster, it was a great morning. I used 4 power bar gel's and drank 40 fl oz of water 28 fl oz of Gatorade endurance. The focus of the workouts right now is building. Getting comfortable sitting on a bike for 3 hours and used to running after pedaling consistently for the same period. To see a new PR on a regular build workout was music to my ears. This particular course is very similar to the bike course in Ironman AZ so I plan on riding it at least every other week. Getting up so early was tough, but being rewarded with such a nice morning and a great workout made it well worth the sacrifice. Now I just have to muster up the motivation to make it to the gym for weight lifting and I'll be able to call it day.

No comments:

Post a Comment