Monday, June 27, 2011

A Workout and a Surprise

I began my day in Indianapolis, with a 4:20 a.m. Eastern time wake-up. I flew through some storms in the Midwest on my way back to sunny Phoenix, and drove home just like any other day. I called The Firefighter driving home to see if he wanted to workout with a reply of, "I'll call you sometime after 10:00 a.m." I got not one, but three calls back on my cell phone and then a call to my house saying, "Why haven't you answered your phone? I just signed up for the 2012 Ironman Coeur d'Alene." His three messages confirmed it on my voice mail. The next thing I knew, I had talked to my wife and added another Ironman to my schedule in June 2012. I'll be doing the race with a half dozen other people that all made the spur-of-the-moment decision. This was not part of the plan for next year, but beginning to travel for races was a part of my long-term plan. So the surprise is that The Firefighter and I are doing Ironman Arizona in November 2011 and following it up with Ironman Coeur d'Alene in June 2012.
The addition to my 2012 schedule was a surprise (though a welcome one) and my wife's support was an even greater surprise. Idaho for a summer vacation is not necessarily a tropical destination.

With my wife's okay and a lazy day behind me, we made our way to finish up with a back and bicep workout followed by abs and a run workout on the treadmill. My wife is doing the Jeff Galloway system to build up for 2 half marathons, and today was scheduled to be a 30-minute training day. This system is not one I would choose for myself in triathlon training, but would highly recommend for anyone focusing solely on the run. It involves combinations of running for a period of time followed by some walking, such as 3 minutes of running followed by 1 minute of walking. I ran 3.5 miles next to her to keep her company. This was not an epic workout, but a good one following an early 4-hour flight and a $630.00 Ironman investment.

2 comments:

  1. It may not be Hawaii, but Lake Coeur d'Alene is one of the most beautiful places in the US! You'll love it if you like lakes, mountains, and pine trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the heads up. It was on my short list of courses to do first when trying one outside of my home state. It should be a much different experience then AZ.

    ReplyDelete