Monday, June 6, 2011

Keeping things interesting

I just got home from a four day trip running 8 miles on a Precor treadmill in Sacramento at the Holiday Inn, and in Kansas City for 6 miles on a Life Fitness treadmill. Today I needed a rest after being away from home for 9 of the last 10 days so here comes a Yoga class with the wife. When training for an extended period of time for a specific race, or just in routine training for your race season monotony can can lead to uninspired workouts. I don't really have to worry about that, I wish I could get a little monotony sometimes, but adding a Yoga class, or a different route for your run/bike ride can invigorate things keeping it from getting too routine.  Even for those of you who love getting a run in at the gym, using that machine you don't normally choose can throw that uncertainty that gets that much more out of your workout. Your body can begin to fall into patterns knowing how much is left when you hit a specific street, or exactly how the pace on the treadmill feels. I have used three treadmills side by side in these hotels and had each one a little different from each other when the same pace and incline was input. The ultimate goal is how you perform on race day and these small sacrifices will keep those workouts more interesting as well as yield better results. I'm now grabbing my yoga mat, and heading off to change things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment